Понравилась презентация – покажи это...
20 WAYS TO RUIN A PERFECTLY GOOD FESTIVAL WEBSISTE Cassie Roberts | Saffire
BUT SOMETHING WAS MISSING
We wanted to HELP MORE PEOPLE!
CLIENT PORTFOLIO Visit Navasota South Texas State Fair Rodeo Belton/ 4th of July Celebration Brazos Valley Fair Heart O' Texas Fair & Rodeo Amarillo Tri-State Fair Fort Bend County Fair Central Texas State Fair Comal County Fair Okeechobee County Fair Amador County Fair Chowchilla Fair Palomino Fest Lea County Coors Cowboy Club Washington County Fair Texas State Forest Festival American Royal Colorado State Fair Napa County Fair Dodge City Round Up Brazoria County Fair San Angelo Rogers County Fair Greater Baton Rouge State Fair Central States Black Hills Stock Show/Rodeo Los Fresnos Twas the Lights Reno Rodeo Redding Rodeo Northwest Washington Fair Sikeston Rodeo Delaware State Fair Sangamon County Fair East Texas Park of East Texas Laramie County Fair Benton-Franklin Fair OVER Carroll County Fair Pendleton Round-Up Pony Express Days Arizona National Livestock Show Yolo County Fair California Rodeo Salinas Rio Grande Valley Livestock Show Old Sorehead Trade Days Cuero TurkeyFest Fiesta San Antonio Glenn County Fair State Fair of Louisiana Four States Fair Montgomery County Fair Fiesta San Antonio Glenn County Fair State Fair of Louisiana Four States Fair 200 Four States Fair Montgomery County Fair Agricultural Learning Center Grant County Fair North Texas State Fair Rooftop Rodeo West End Fair Crabtree Amusements Trinity Valley Exposition Brackenridge Recreation Complex Kitsap Rodeo Cowpokes Refugio County Fair Rockdale Fair & Rodeo Children’s Center NILE MATE Volusia County Fair Firefighter’s Fair Fayette County Fair Extreme Tix CLIENTS! Salvation Army Jerry Jones Education Town Wings Stadium Bradford County Fair Pasco County Fair Greeley Stampede Sweetwater Events Complex iFest Hardee County Fair Angelina Ccounty Fair/Expo Midland Horseshoe Arena Harborside Events Center My River District Taylor County Expo Five State Fair Western Heritage Classic Extraco Events Center Central Washington
WHAT MAKES A GOOD WEBSITE?
MOBILE-FRIENDLY FUN EASY TO NAVIGATE INFORMATIVE GOOD BRANDING FAST LOADING GOOD PHOTOS
1. BUILD WITH OLD PROGRAMS • Flash breaks on iPads and sometimes computers too—ditch it! • Programming languages change • Social media outlets change their plug-ins
SITE WIDTH & ALIGNMENT
SITE WIDTH & ALIGNMENT
COMPUTER MONITORS 1997 2015
2. HAVE A BAD HOST • Some hosts don’t monitor for traffic spikes • Some hosts don’t isolate your space from your neighbor’s • With many hosting plans, someone else’s high traffic or improper usage can affect you
STAR WARS CRASH Did anyone try to buy tickets for the new Star Wars movie when they went on sale?
WHAT HAPPENED? • Massive traffic • Server Overload (Like when you try to open 100 files on your computer at once) • Sites slowed, eventually leading to crash
WHAT CAN YOU DO? • Increase server space during peak times • Buy more server space • Invest in dedicated server space (more expensive but fewer or more reliable neighbors) • Make sure the platform your website is on is up to date
3. BE INVISIBLE TO GOOGLE Most people that search for your festival name are going to find your website. What about other things they type? • What keywords are strong? • How can you use keywords to get a better ranking on Google?
THE LONG TAIL
LONG TAIL WORDS • • • • More descriptive=less searches=more likely to find you More descriptive=more interest in you anyway! More descriptive=costs less if you advertise EX: Family Fun, Music Festival, Cherry Festival, Fireworks in Detroit
www.google.com/trends Type in any word, find out the trends and search history of that term!
OTHER SEO TRICKS What can you do to be found besides update keywords? • Create a strong sitemap • Link other sites to yours or link internally to yourself • Have a mobile site!
4. CREATIVE SITE NAVIGATION • A place to watch “design over function” • If there is a place to keep it simple, this is it! • Your map to your content
JUST F IT.
5. FORGET THE FAVICON Normal Day!
FAVICON IMPORTANCE Users (especially a younger audience, opening multiple pages in rapid-fire succession as a way to remember the items on those pages and revisit them at a later time.
FAVICON Ask your web developer to update yours if you don’t already have one! • Fun • Reflective of your branding • Identifiable when you can’t see the page title
6. NEVER CHANGE CONTENT 1. Visit 2. Visit with same content 3. Never visit again
If you update your Facebook page CHANGE YOUR WEBSITE
YOUR BRAND YOUR LAND!
BAD OFFENDER: NEWS & BLOG • If you have them, keep them updated • A tip to make it easier: Don’t say how often you're going to publish. A “once a month” newsletter is a surefire way to be behind.
WORST OFFENDER: OLD DATES
7. FORGET CALLS TO ACTION What’s the action for someone visiting your site? SMALL • Listen to Music • View Photos/Videos BIG • Sign up for your email list • Buy tickets
IMPORTANCE OF WEB ACTIONS OLD WEBSITES NEW WEBSITES
TAKE A POLL
LEADS TO CLICKS ON THIS!
8. SKIP ONLINE SALES
MULTIPLE BUY OPTIONS
BUY FROM ANY PAGE
CREATE CUSTOMER CONFIDENCE
9. SKIP MOBILE-FRIENDLY If you: • Send email (something people check on their phone!) • Post Facebook ads (something people check on their phone!) • Sell Online • Have a website YOU MUST BE MOBILE!
WHAT ARE MY OPTIONS?
MOBILE SITE OR RESPONSIVE MOBILE SITE 1 desktop, 1 mobile website; site optimizes to screen Information pre-selected so ONLY mobile-optimized assets show Pages usually load faster Must be programmed separately, which can be hard for some developers Better performance across more types of devices RESPONSIVE 1 website, sizes to fit any device All assets are downloaded regardless of wheter they are used or not Pages usually load a little slower Easier to implement for new websites-less programming Not fully supported on older devices
GOOGLE LOVES MOBILE
10. LEAVE OUT EMAIL SIGNUP Not Cool: Email seems lame compared to social media Cool: It’s the most successful tactic!
Top Revenue Generator Most Cost-Effective Fastest Results
11. HIDE CONTACT INFO Very poor customer service to only have a contact us form on your website • Utilize email aliases if you’re worried about spam • At least one phone number should always be available
12. FEATURE TEXT INSTEAD OF PHOTOS Engagement per follower is 58 times higher on Instagram than on Facebook.
DOES IT REALLY MATTER? PHOTOS: • Provide a personal connection to your event and your brand • Evoke desire to “do what they’re doing” • Allow visitors to virtually experience your event all year long
DOES IT REALLY MATTER? Albums do even better than single photos, so don‘t forget those!
GOOD PHOTOS ARE…
RELATEABLE Children and animals evoke an immediate connection Veggies so fresh you want to eat them
RELATEABLE I want to buy a ticket so I can experience that too!
GOOD PHOTOS DO NOT…
SEND THE WRONG MESSAGE Crowd Photos vs. Long Lines Fun Festival vs. Hot & Sweaty
13. SHOWCASE ADS OVER YOURSELF A lot of websites make the mistake of using their most important real estate for ads instead of their content.
DO PEOPLE LIKE YAHOO…
14. DON’T DO VIDEO Visitors will engage with your site if they’re watching videos or listening to music! • Video brings an average of 3 times more visitors to your site per month • Organic search traffic increases by 157% • The average website visitor spends 88% longer on sites with video
APPEALS TO MILLENIALS 4 BILLION videos are watched every DAY on YouTube • More 18-49 year olds watch YouTube in the U.S. than any cable network.
VIDEO TIPS • An eye catching thumbnail encourages more clicks -Use what you just learned about photos! • Film “behind the scenes” with performers, event organizers etc. • Tour of the grounds videos can be fun!
SHORT AND SWEET Use what social media has taught us about video. • Vine – 6 seconds • Instagram Video 15 seconds – outperforms Vine • On Facebook, videos can be any length but they automatically play as you scroll past, so first few seconds must be compelling!
AUTOPLAY WITHOUT ANNOYANCE
VIDEO IN EMAIL Using the word “Video” in an email subject line: • BOOSTS Open rates 19% • INCREASES Click-through rates by 65% • REDUCES unsubscribes by 26%
HOW TO GET VIDEOS
IPHONE TRICK - TIME LAPSE
IPHONE TRICK - SLO-MO
1SE-ONE SECOND EVERYDAY • Film 1 second of video of your event every day, and it combines them in to one long video!
15. PUT THINGS IN .PDF PDFs are the easiest way to keep customers from seeing your content! • No SEO- Google can’t read them • Your internal site search can’t read them • Adds an extra click for your customers • No exposure to photos/videos on your website
ESPECIALLY IMPORTANT FOR FORMS
16. DISMISS USER-GENERATED CONTENT That’s what social media is right? And people love it! • Allow customers to upload photos • Ask sponsors/guest writers to contribute to your blog • Put customer YouTube videos on your website
SHARE A PHOTO
17.FORGET WHAT MAKES YOU SPECIAL Find your differentiators and sell the heck out of them! • Scenery • Attractions • Special Events • Culture/Tradition
THE FOLLOW UP
18. IGNORE CUSTOMER VIBE If your people are talking about memes, include memes on your website. • If snapchat is all the rage, use snapchat • Current events can provide great content • Not every option is good for every event
19. SKIP ANALYTICS What should you watch? • Google Analytics • Facebook post analytics • Email opens & click throughs
If you’re YOU’RE NOT MARKETING! not measuring,
EMAILS • Test layouts and content • (Almost) always include more than one topic. • The things people care about will shock you!
GOOGLE ANALYTICS-LOCATION • What are you doing to make strong places strong? What could you do to increase areas you wish were strong?
GOOGLE ANALYTICS- MOST VIEWED PAGES • How can I make those pages serve me better?
THEN APPLY EVERYWHERE!
20. DON’T ASK FOR INPUT Sometimes we are the easiest critics on our own websites • Ask your friends to buy a ticket from your website in front of you • See how easy it is for them to get to important information • The thing you’re missing may be the thing they catch!
FREE ONLINE MARKETING TIPS Website The Amplifier Facebook Twitter Instagram Pinterest YouTube www.saffire.com www.saffire.com/podcast Saffire @SaffireEvents saffireevents saffireevents saffirestudio Questions?
THANK YOU! Cassie Roberts email@example.com www.saffire.com