If you like this presentation – show it...
EMAIL 4 STARTUPS SUSAN SU SUSAN@500.CO
EMAIL = Email is the highest ROI channel there is no display algorithms to ‘game’ highly trackable -- even 1:1 emails 4 billlllllion accounts worldwide 25% of these are BUSINESS accounts
REALITY CHECK REALITY CHECK
Email WHAT IS EMAIL MARKETING? BLAST! Good email marketing: extends beyond any single standalone blast campaigns that show u know WHO ur subscribers really are, and WHERE they are in their user lifecycle
Rome wasn’t built in a single email. EMAIL CAMPAIGNS CAMPAIGNS Welcome Onboarding / Activation Engagement Reactivation Transactional
Welcome — Confirm signup, set the email expectations Onboarding campaign — multi-installment series that gets subscribers to your activation threshold Engagement campaign — emails that get subs to your next activation threshold — from 1st time to repeat users Reactivation — incentivized wake-up for dormant users Retention — event-based triggers aimed at retain users about to drop off Conversion — “the hard sell” Referral — acquisition Transactional — password, receipt, account details (opportunity to convince & convert) EMAIL CAMPAIGNS
EMAIL IS A FUNNEL. Very few people buy at the top of the funnel.
THIS ONE WORKED
1. ABC: Always Be Collecting Persistent across site As a call to action on any content marketing Popups work On EVERY staff’s profiles and email signatures Paid acquisition campaigns -- promote an offer Offline works too LinkedIn trick
1. ABC: Always Be Collecting Persistent across ur site Popups works On EVERY staff’s profiles and signatures Paid acquisition campaigns Offline works too GOLDEN RULES OF CONTENT MARKETING ALWAYS BE COLLECTING
2. Subject lines MATTER. But they don’t just impact open rates. They impact a subscriber’s perception of your ENTIRE email. Subject line testing isn’t just about boosting open rates, but boosting total conversions. IT’S A FUNNEL -- First 10-15 characters MOST important: use action words.
RECIPROCITY How to get 25K visitors/month -- new ebook, no charge
COMMITMENT & CONSISTENCY
LIKING Praise, association, familiarity, similarity
AUTHORITY Get YOUR MBA in Internet Marketing... Warren Buffet on Goals... ...Career Advice from Barack Obama
SCARCITY 24 hours left… Last chance...
FEARS & ASPIRATIONS 7 Biggest Time Wasters for Social Media Marketers -- Is This YOU? vs. 7 Ways to Save More Time and Be a Superstar Social Media Marketer
SNOOZE DON'T BE BORING!
3. Target and segment Don’t be random. Some targeting you can do: demo based on previous behavior (open, click, buy) based on events outside of email (ie, where did they come from)
4. Measure what matters OPENS. Standard open rate is below 30%. CLICKS CONVERSIONS SUBSCRIBES UNSUBSCRIBES REPLIES
5. MUST. TEST. Subject line: copy, length, emotion? CTA: language, size, color, commitment? level Content layout? Content length? Show prices vs. not? Simple vs complex? More vs fewer choices? Send time / day Personalization ? “From” name PS -- Intuition still matters.
6. CONTENT MATTERS subject line preview text IMAGES body always have a CTA > one email, one CTA include link reminding people who you are & what you do
7. Mobile FIRST Over 65% of email gets opened on mobile FIRST. ALWAYS TEST mobile Responsive layout Content brevity (short <p>) Subject, preview & sender are mobile-optimized High open rate but low click rate…?