If you like this presentation – show it...
What it is + how to do it.
HI. I’m Andrea. I’m a connector of people and opportunities. I’m a go-to person for innovative ideas or an artistic touch. I bring the insight of a boomerang Duluthian just on the edge of the Millennial generation.
HI. I’m Dave. I’m a matchmaker. I’m a public address announcer. I am proud to keep talent in Duluth! my motto is “Impact one person every day, change one life, change many.”
Every interaction is an opportunity.
the interview starts far before the interview itself.
in the parking lot
In the elevator
In the reception area
what kind of impression do you want to leave behind?
build your personal brand. know it and own it.
every moment is a chance to make it or Break it
What kind of impression are you leaving?
in the classroom?
in your social world?
in your workplace?
in your community? Painting of Mayor Don Ness and Jim Carlson by Joe Kander
what kind of brand do you want to be giving off??
how do you differentiate yourself from your peers?
what is your unique value proposition? skills and abilities Interests and Values Personality
10 ways to own and hone your personal brand:
1. understand your current message...
...and make change where change is due.
2. identify what sets you apart... roles/responsibilities values/beliefs skills/talents strengths interests/hobbies goals/purpose
...and articulate your brand. SS SINE r L BU u ONA esent yo RS epr e PE Mak S that r D CAR ! d bran
3. build an online presence Connect Follow Blog Tweet Comment Share Like Pin Link in
4. build a campus presence Find joy. Get involved. Try the uncomfortable . Believe in something. Get to know your professors. Take on a leadership role Use your voice. Believe in you. Show up. Form relationships . Offer Help. Ask for help.
5. build a community presence Be present. Build a support network. Pay attention. Attend Networking Events. Volunteer. Give back. Engage in your community. Join a board. Join professional groups.
6. write. write well. write often. Professional Emails. Content. Thank you Notes. Resume and Cover Letters.
7. master the basics
8. read. for fun.
9. adapt your brand as you evolve.
10. Remember that life is an interview.
every day is a chance to make it or break it.
WHat is the personal brand you want to leave behind?
if you want to connect with us Andrea Chartier, Career Counselor The College of St. Scholastica AChartier@css.edu Dave Cook, Career Services Manager Duluth Business University DavidC@dbumn.edu
...now get to it!